I'm a writer and editor. I make my living with words. I've had more than one hundred of my poems and stories published. I'm a member of the National Writer's Union, The Academy of American Poets and a bunch of other organizations which make me sound pretty important. I'm not, but it sure looks purty, don't it?
I support myself doing freelance writing and editing jobs like writing and editing articles and novels. It's a living doing what I love to do, and that is an obvious plus. Besides some of my clients pay me with things like Chanel perfume, Feragamo shoes, jewelry, furs and of course money.
Some of my latest writing credits as of now include:
"Budzsushammer," "Alors et Toi!," UCLA's "American Indian Cultural and Resource Journal," " Thorny Locust," "Red River Review, "Red Pulp Underground," and a bunch of others I can't remember at the moment. I'm a 2009 nominee for a Pushcart Prize.
I am also a full-time caregiver for a cancer patient.
- About Me
- Other Writings
- Contact Me
What Cancer Brings, all work and characters contained therein is © 2017 Rachel Blackbirdsong unless otherwise specified. All rights reserved. No portion of this online work may be published, transmitted, or distributed in any medium without the express written permission of the author.
All works of fiction, including names, characters, places, and incidents are a product of the author’s imagination or are used fictitiously and are not to be construed as real. Any resemblance to real persons living or dead, places, or events is purely coincidental unless permission was obtained from the original creator.
Any and all copyright violations will be rigorously prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Strike your own lightning and don't steal my thunder, or anyone else's.
My Creative Writing Blog
This work by Rachel Blackbirdsong is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
A proud member of…
July 2019 M T W T F S S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Join 1,383 other subscribers
- The Caregiver’s Anthem July 3, 2019I watched you die There was nothing I Could do Before If you fell I could lift you Or when you were sick I could call the doctor Make an appointment Give you one of your Medications Feed you … Continue reading →Blackbirdsong
- Breaking the Spell May 28, 2012There are many kinds of spells in the world. Probably the most well known are magic spells where some claim to have powers to force changes in people, nature and situations. There are myths, fairytales, children’s books, novels and historical … Continue reading →Blackbirdsong
- On Losing Hair and How Farrah Fawcett Prepared Me for My Journey May 21, 2012Well I have less hair than the last time I added anything here, and no, it’s not because I have cancer. It seems that taking care of a cancer patient or should I say; the stress of taking care of … Continue reading →Blackbirdsong
- To Be or Not To Boobie May 9, 2012To Be or Not Boobie One of main themes of this blog has and always will be, making a cancer journey. As I see it, everyone who either receives a diagnosis or takes care of someone who has received a … Continue reading →Blackbirdsong
- Isn’t It Always Something? May 7, 2012And the answer is a wholehearted “yes.” Quick summation of this past week: 1. Mom is home, and she was stoned out of her gourd on pain pills on her second day back. 2. My 81-year-old mother was stoned on … Continue reading →Blackbirdsong
- Losing My Head and Finding My Voice April 20, 2012It would be too easy to call this entry, something negative ,” but in truth, with all that I’ve been through, I can honestly say that I feel blessed. Mom fell again two weeks ago Monday. She hadn’t recovered her … Continue reading →Blackbirdsong
- Finding My Footing April 2, 2012I haven’t written anything in forever and it’s not writer’s block. It’s more life block if there such a thing. I am depressed and have been like this for quite some time. Perhaps it stems from my constant exhaustion or … Continue reading →Blackbirdsong
- All the Little Children October 31, 2011I’m working on a manuscript of poetry that deals with my childhood and the abuse I endured. Needless to say, my past isn’t always an easy to revisit. Sometimes it’s depressing, because it was definitely depressing and other times … Continue reading →Blackbirdsong
- I’m Just Exhausted…. October 23, 2011A few years ago, I wrote a poem called, “Click” where I paraphrased current events with the “click” of a TV screen remote throughout. These are the first lines, “Watching the world on CNN. Switching to MTV. The sameness of … Continue reading →Blackbirdsong
- Senior Parents, Surgery and the Scent of Snow September 12, 2011The problem with senior parents is that don’t listen and are every bit as rebellious and moody as any teenager. The difference between a senior parent and a teenager is, that I can’t put my mom on probation or tell … Continue reading →Blackbirdsong
- The Caregiver’s Anthem July 3, 2019